Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Up the Mountain in Ilmenau

Last Sunday, a group of us from the Sommerkurs hiked to a tower at the top of a mountain in Ilmenau. The excursion lasted for eight hours with approximately six of them spent either ascending or descending the mountain. Along the way, we at wild berries and drank of the spring water--we took the land into our bodies, so to speak. The hike was somewhat physically demanding, and today--Tuesday--my leg muscles are still sore. The view from the top of the mountain and the experience of the hike itself was worth the effort--it was a good day.
I would like tell you about a particular problem of mine that has been emphasized a half dozen times since being here. (Sue, please stop reading now.)
During the descent, Nick (a fellow student from U.C.) and myself were separated from the group for about 20 minutes, in other words, lost for 20 minutes. This counts as the sixth time that I have been lost in Germany, although, the following confession does not apply to this circumstance.
The plain truth of the matter is that I have a tendency to observe everything around me except how I am getting to where I am going coupled with the fact that I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE OF DIRECTION!
As I said, I have been lost six times, allow me to list them for you:
1. First night on campus--lost the orientation to my dorm room around 11pm; eventually find it myself.
2. Second day--lost (slightly) at 11pm while exploring the city; found my own way back.
3. Eighth day--become lost in the city after leaving Cafe Bohne at 1am with complete confidence as to the way home; a young citizen of Ilmenau kindly walks me to the main section of town.
4&5. Fifteenth day--lost twice during the day while exploring the city of Erfurt by myself (no big deal) ; some kind citizens of Erfurt help me find my way.
6. Sixteenth day--lost with Nick during mountain excursion; rescued by Torsten (Betreuer leading the excursion).

In all seriousness, I have never once felt threatened during my time in Germany. If it were otherwise, I WOULD NOT BEHAVE IN SUCH AN IRRESPONSIBLE MANNER.

1 comment:

Sue Brewer said...

What's the old proverb..."curiosity killed the cat". I could not stop reading. I just couldn't!
But what a breakthrough you've had!! To have finally come to admit and accept this well known fact about yourself. I'm elated!! I really feel like this is a huge step in a positive direction with our relationship and most notably our interaction while in driving in the car!