The excursion to Eisenach was another rewarding experience. This is the city where Johann Sebastian Bach was born and where Maritn Luther hid from the religious and political authorities that sought to apprehend and punish him.
Our time in the city proper was very limited, so Jim (a retiree from Cincinnati attending Sommerkurs) and I headed immediately for the Bachaus--a museum built in and around the house where Bach was born. I could have easily spent an entire day at this museum, but had to settle for an hour. Anyone interested in the life, history and musical development of Bach would find this museum fascinating. From the historical artifacts of Bach's time, to a thoroughly modern, state of the art installation that displays images of musicians playing Bach's music (the sound quality is first-class) this is a exceedingly well-designed museum.
We also visited Warburg castle located on a high ridge over the city. This is where Martin Luther hid and worked on translating the Bible into German. Having never visited a European castle, this was another incredible experience: another occasion for the recurring though "I cannot believe I am here."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment