Sunday, August 31, 2008

Reflections From Home


In considering the highlight of the Ilmenau Study Abroad Program, I would have to say that the excursions we took were the most thrilling. As someone possessing a fascination with Germany, touring Ilmenau, Erfurt, Weimar and Eisenach offered (for myself) an unprecedented first-hand cultural learning experience that will remain significant for the rest of my life. Additionally, the experience of participating in the language classes, meeting and getting to know fellow students from a variety of countries, meeting and getting to know the faculty, betreuers and some of the townspeople, and simply living in Germany for three weeks were also of lifelong benefit.
One of the most surprising aspects of everyday German culture was the apparent relational coldness we were met with upon encountering the townspeople. The average German displays a rather closed relational manner during initial casual encounters--an apparent lack of openness to strangers. However, on several occasions, once a conversation was initiated, meaningful dialogue often ensued.
I think the most important insight I received during this course about learning to listen to and understand the German language was to focus on hearing and understanding entire phrases rather than focusing on hearing and understanding individual words and then trying to construct the meaning of what is being said.
Finally, I want to reiterate my heartfelt gratitude for the opportunity this study abroad course has given me. 

No comments: