Weimar is the city where the archives and tombs of the writers Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller are located. Following is an excerpt from Shiller's "Ode to Joy" which was chosen as the official anthem of the European Union:
Joy, joy moves the wheels
In the universal time machine.
Flowers it calls forth from their buds,
Suns from the Firmament,
Spheres it moves far out in Space,
Where our telescopes cannot reach.
Are you inspired by those lines? If so, I encourage you to read the entire poem.
Weimar is a city of much significant history. Two aspects of the cities history that are of interest to me are that the city was the seat of the Weimar Republic--Germany's early 20th century attempt at democracy. And, of more passionate interest, the city where the Bauhaus emerged (a hugely innovative and influential artistic/design movement). I wanted to revisit Weimar and tour the Bauhaus museum, but, I do not have enough time.
All I can currently say about Buchenwald (the notorious and very large Nazi concentration camp) is that I was for the most part unaffected emotionally. Somehow the experience at Buchenwald did not fully sink in an emotional way. I am still unsure as to why.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment